Master’s Degree Programme in Biomedical Engineering
- Study a multidisciplinary degree combining medicine with modern information technology in state-of-the-art facilities, including a brand-new medical imaging laboratory.
- Learn novel health technologies such as biomaterials, biomechanics, medical imaging, digital signal and image analysis, machine learning and big data. Learn also about Internet of Medical Things such as sensors, medical software and wireless networks.
- Enjoy of up-to-date teaching by qualified professionals and participate in research measurements and projects in real research teams.
The International Master’s Degree Programme in Biomedical Engineering (BME) is a two-year interdisciplinary programme focusing on biomechanics and medical imaging as well as biomedical signal and image processing. The programme will give you relevant skills and core knowledge of the latest methods, tools and technologies combined with issues such as:
- anatomy and physiology
- biomedical measurements
- medical physics and imaging techniques
- biomedical signal and image processing
- machine learning
- health technology applications
The high quality of the Finnish health care system is well-known all over the world. Finland has an impressive health technology industry and the University of Oulu and the OuluHealth innovation ecosystem offer an excellent platform for research and development. The BME programme is organized by internationally recognized, world-class research groups in close collaboration with the Oulu University Hospital. The programme and the research groups have strong connections with other health care organizations and the health technology industry.
The programme is highly focused on experimentation, practical work and problem-based learning in its studies and research. In addition to theoretical knowledge, the programme is based on applied research and real-world problems and solutions, which is strengthened by its close links to industry. The programme is inherently multidisciplinary as it combines the technological and medical expertise of two different faculties, the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering and the Faculty of Medicine. The study environment is multinational and multilingual, as roughly half of the teaching staff and a significant number of students come from outside of Finland.
Oulu is a tech hub with a lot of established companies and world leaders in health care technology as well as start-ups and other industry players. This environment is ideal for BME students to plan for their professional careers. Graduates from the programme typically work in different expert duties in industry, research, education, and health care. Their career prospects are often international and they may work as designers, developers, researchers, service providers, entrepreneurs and so on. For the academically minded students, the programme is an excellent platform from which to build further studies and a researcher's career.
Visit the programme page to see the admission requirements and how to apply through an online joint application system at Studyinfo.fi
Degree / diploma
Master of Science (Technology)
Tuition fee: for non-EU/EEA citizens 10 000 euros