Vocational Qualification in Tourism Industry
Students who have completed the Vocational Qualification in Tourism Industry can work as Tourism Service Agents in hotels or other establishments providing accommodation, national, regional or local tourism sales and advisory organisations, travel or tourism offices, sales services, tourist resorts, sales and information points, central reservation agencies, transport companies or companies organising tourist activities.
The studies include theory and practical training at the institution, e-learning and studing under a training contract, or apprenticeship in working life. Competence is demonstrated by practical work in real working life situations.
This field of study is available at Myyrmäki campus. Studies are full time day studies on campus generally from Monday to Friday. During the periods of learning in the working life, the students follow the working hours of the workplace.
A personal study plan is made for all students in which their prior learning and experience will be recognized. Students show their competence in the vocational units at the work places, thus work based learning plays an important part in the studies.
The estimated duration of the studies will be between 1,5 and 2 years, but may vary individually.
The extent of the studies
Full degree is 180 competence points.
Examples of Vocational Study Units, 145 competence points needed for graduation:
- Customer service in the tourism industry, 40 cp
- Customer service at a hotel, 20 cp
- Meeting services, 15 cp
- Marketing communications in tourism services, 20 cp
- Working in event tourism, 15 cp
- Working with climate responsibility, 15 cp
Finnish language requirement level is A2.2. Most significant school and employment certificates must be translated into either Finnish or English by an official translator. The applicant can attach the certificates to the application or can bring them to the interview if the applicant receives an interview invitation. Eligible applicants will be contacted by email to the interview on campus. Student selection is based on interview.
Eligibility criteria for applicants
- completion of general upper secondary education/ vocational qualification, equivalent of 12 years of education (as duration of this course is shorter than the standard tourism course, which is 3 years if attended directly from 9th grade. This means that students are expected to have studies the common units already).
- fluency in English
- basic Finnish language skills (minimum level A2.2)
- previous experience in tourism, restaurant or service industry is expected and interest in pursuing a career in tourism.
Vocational qualification in Tourism Industry enables the graduates to apply for further studies at the university of applied sciences or at the university.
Vocational qualification in Tourism Industry
Education in Vantaa Vocational College Varia is free of charge and so is a daily lunch. The students estimated expenses per student for about 2 years of studies is 400 euros for study materials, work clothes and study trips. A personal laptop is needed for the studies.